I’ve been pondering the so called divide between "design" and "design thinking" and I’ve come up with a few thoughts on the differences. One of the first things I’ll say is that you cannot compare the two to say one is better than the other. To me, these are two different strategies which one chooses according to the need. Let me elaborate,
- focus on portfolios, awards, etc
- focus on solutions
- focus on understanding the project, product, tech specs, criteria
- focus on "going away to work on the project and will return with
concepts to show you"
- focus on "right now" design
"Design thinking" is…
- focus on strategy, brand building, organizational core competency
- focus on (framing the right) problem
- focus on understanding your company, objectives, corporate strategy,
- focus on collaborating with client, embedding in the organization, using design thinking techniques to make client come up with the right "problem
- focus on "where do you want to go"
Each has it’s place in the organization, a good design strategy uses each appropriately.