While I was sitting here trying to compose a post on medical tourism in India when I noticed that Tom’s tagged me for the 5 things meme going round the blogosphere. Oh well, why not…
5 things you don’t know about me:
1. I have just lost my third molar, this morning in fact. One guy held my head while the dentist did her magic with the pliers. I live on protein shakes and soup.
2. I am addicted to reading, and my favourite author, over all the sci fi authors who have shaped my thinking and dreaming, is Georgette Heyer. She writes Regency romances – drawing room farces set in 18th and 19th century England. What can I say… they’re very diverting.
3. I hate flying. Given that I’ve been flying since I was months old, and my first flight alone was at age 6, you’d think I would be blase about it all by now. But no, I guess I feel that which successive flight I’m playing the odds :0
4. The craziest thing I ever did was jump on a train from Ahmedabad in Northwest India without a confirmed seat for the 36 hour journey to Chennai in Southeast India just for a New Year’s party  and then did the same for the return just one day later. I shared some sleeping space on the floor taking turns to watch my luggage with a Catholic nun.
5. There is an entire group of people who don’t even know that my given name is Niti, or if they do, they can barely recall it at times. Mostly family and some family friends, all know me as Bichu. It means scorpion in Hindi and is my ‘home name’ or ‘nickname’. Don’t ask me how I got it, stories abound from my grandma wanting to protect me from the evil eye [heh] to my penchant at age one for biting the neighbours 😛